It is also necessary to wash all clothing or other items that made contact with the plant. While poison ivy is usually a vine or small shrub, poison sumac can be either a shrub or a tree. American sunscreen may also be less great at sun and skin protection than brands from other countries. Poison sumac is a shrub (some consider it a small tree) that grows in swampy areas. If the oil is inhaled, which may occur if the plant is burned, it can lead to a dangerous lung irritation. Don’t wait until a reaction appears on your skin to take action; a rash could take hours to develop. Plant Identification. It is also important to see a doctor for any symptoms of infection. Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that contain an irritating, oily sap called urushiol. However, avoid applying these creams and pastes to any open blisters. Poison sumac is particularly abundant along the Mississippi River and swampy areas of the Southeast. The oils can stick to the skin and fingernails quickly. Poison sumac is related to poison ivy and poison oak plants, which is why all three plants can cause similar skin rashes. Don’t use warm water, as this could cause the oils to spread. Poison sumac grows as a shrub or small tree, reaching up to 20 feet tall, and is typically found only in open or wooded swampy areas. as this could lead to an infection. Treatment will usually involve antibiotics. There is no cure for the rash. Coming into contact with urushiol causes contact dermatitis, which is a type of allergic skin reaction. All rights reserved. The best way to prevent poison oak rash is to learn to recognize the plant and avoid contact with it. It has pinnate leaves, like a fern’s leaf or a feather. Poison sumac rashes are much more rare because the plant is not as widespread. Learn how to keep them safe…. Learn about some…. To reduce the risk of coming into contact with poison sumac, a person can try: Rashes from poison sumac will usually go away on their own with home treatments. OTC treatments can provide pain relief from the rash. However, a person should contact a doctor if the rash is widespread over the body or occurs on the face or genitals. A popular saying is, “Leaves of three, let them be.” Poison ivy grows as a shrub and a vine. Contact with these oils can produce a skin reaction within a few days. Poison ivy can grow as a vine, but poison sumac always grows as a bush or tree. The plants tend to grow in wet areas, such as swamps. Each pinnate leaf has 9 to 13 leaflets on it, which are stationed opposite each other. Some signs of an infected blister include: In most cases, a rash from the poison sumac plant is treatable at home. Each pinnate leaf has 7–13 leaflets, each of which is 2–4 inches (5–10 cm) long. You should also make a visit to your doctor if you think your rash has become infected due to scratching. Poison Sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) Poison Sumac is a small tree or large shrub with large attractive leaves and white fruits that could be used as an ornamental if it didn't cause severe skin irritation in most people. Second, don’t touch any part of these plants! In some cases, however, blisters from the reaction can become infected and require antibiotic treatment. Some conditions that cause skin rashes are very contagious. A person can be exposed to urushiol directly or by touching objects -- such as gardening tools, camping equipment, and even a pet's fur -- that have come into contact … Poison sumac is a shrub or small tree, growing up to nearly 30 ft (9 m) in height. © 2005-2020 Healthline Media a Red Ventures Company. Learn how to identify and manage allergies here. Stinging Nettle. It is relatively rare compared to the other members of the family. Unlike poison ivy and poison oak, it doesn't grow in a three-leaf-per-stem pattern. It is relatively rare compared to the other members of the family. If anything makes direct contact with the poison sumac plant, it releases an urushiol oil. Poison ivy: Poison ivy is most known for its leaves. Poison sumac is a small tree that grows to about 30 feet tall (that’s about three times as tall as your average Christmas tree). You’ll have to wait for the symptoms to pass. What are the complications of poison sumac rash? Thankfully, poison sumac is much less common than poison oak and poison ivy. The rash may be red and itchy, and it may contain fluid-filled blisters. Their high levels of energy, endless curiosity, and remarkable ability to bounce back from stumbles can put kids at risk.